Welcome to the start of another summer of Vista Nation XC running! The coaches are excited to be getting started up with everyone again. Even though we cannot currently meet together as a group, we plan to coach you virtually until the School District tells us we can begin to meet again. So that everyone is in the loop, here is the latest news from The District about summer camps:
- The Douglas County School District is currently not allowing summer sports camps to take place in person during the month of June. This may change, but for now we are not allowed to meet.
- Throughout the entire season will be sending out workouts virtually through "The Final Surge". This will give our runners the chance to keep up with their running until in-person meetings are allowed again. This will also allow the coaches an opportunity to help you with your running.
- The coaches will not be organizing group runs as a team until we are given the approval to do so. Until that time, teammates choosing to run together should continue to stay in groups of 10 or less, and always stay 6 feet apart.
Final Surge Sign-up and App Download
Athletes that registered for the summer (both high school and middle school) should have received an email inviting you to be a part of "Vista Nation XC" virtual coaching through the final surge. This will be our primary way of coaching you virtually. Here is what needs to be completed:
- Athletes should check their preferred email that they used at registration and look for an invite from the Final Surge to join Vista Nation XC.
- Once you have accepted the invitation, the coaches will add you to a training group.
- Download the Final Surge to your smart phone. You will receive team notifications via the app along with comments to your training log from the coaches.
- Upload a picture to your Final Surge profile so that the coaches and your teammates know who you are.
- Use Final Surge as your running log by uploading your runs everyday into the app or web platform. Coaches will be able to give you feedback virtually on your running. Only coaches can see your log, other teammates cannot.
- Log your workouts everyday in Final Surge to earn your aerobic monster shirt (both high school and middle school runners) and to be eligible for the NXRSW 2020 trip to Arizona (High School Only).
Summer HS Training Plans for Athletes
Each high school athlete on the team will be assigned a training plan this summer. I will start putting names on the plans this week once summer registration is complete. Here is a description of each plan. If you are unsure which plan to follow please contact one of the coaches for guidance:
- Plan 1: New high school runners, or those needing to be on our lowest volume plan. Most freshmen will be in this group. This group will run 6 times a week. Athletes following Plan 1 will take all Sundays off from running.
- Plan 2: Athletes that have consistently followed Plan 1 plan during the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Sophomores that ran both XC and track will be ready for this plan. This group will typically run between 6 to 7 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's or double occasionally during the week.
- Plan 3: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for a higher volume plan. Consistently followed plan 2 during the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Upperclassmen that ran both XC and track last year. This group will typically between 7 to 9 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's or double during the week.
- Plan 4: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for our highest volume plan. Have successfully followed plan 3 over the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Have run both XC and track for the last 2 years. This group will run between 7 to 9 times per week depending on the needs of the individual athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's and may double during the week.
Training for June 1st-7th
Emphasis for week #1: Getting back into running. Keep everything at a conversational running pace this week. At the end of three of your runs this week you will do strides.
Training will typically be posted for you in the Final Surge App. This will help you to know what your daily workouts are before you come to practice each day along w/ knowing what to run when you are out of town during the summer. However, for the first week workouts are posted in the Google Doc below to give everyone time to adjust to using the Final Surge.
Middle School Runners
Below is the link to the letter Coaches Estell and Sprafke sent out to you this weekend. Please take a look at the letter for special information about our middle school camp along with this weeks training.
In addition, please make sure you accept the email invite to join The Final Surge!
If we are unable to meet in person this summer there will be no fee for the program, and athletes will continue to receive virtual workouts through The Final Surge free of charge.
The fee for our summer XC program will be $100 this year. Our summer program is the main fundraiser for our team each year and how we afford things like additional coaching stipends, uniforms, meet transportation, etc.
We will not be collecting this fee until we are able to meet in person again. Hopefully in July. In addition, anyone who is unable to pay the $100 fee should contact Coach Dalby. No one will be turned away if you are unable to pay.