Going the Extra Mile
There are a lot of things that we can't control this season. But what we can control is how hard we are working. This season the coaching staff wants to challenge you to "GO THE EXTRA MILE." This is something we are going to be talking a lot about this season and we mean this both figuratively and literally. Figuratively, we want you to push yourself beyond what you think you can do. Make the team the best that it can be by working towards your full potential all season. Literally, we want you to run some extra miles this season. For our upperclassmen (Jrs/Srs) this means getting in an extra 5 to 10 miles a week outside of what we ask you to do at practice. For the underclassmen (Fr/So) this means staying consistent and running on the weekends as well what we ask you to do during the week. I believe that this will give us the best chance to accomplish the team and individual goals you set back in June.
Here are some ways the coaches suggest that you get in the few extra miles that we are asking for:
- Run easy on Sundays. Go out and get in an extra run for the week during your day off from the team.
- Get up and do an easy run of 4 or 5 miles once or twice a week in the mornings before school. Nothing fast, just easy running.
- Do an extra interval on our quality/hard workout days. This can quickly add on a quality mile or two for the week.
- Add an extra 1 to 2 miles to the days during the week we are just going out for runs. You can always add on a mile or two from what we ask you to do at practice.
- Join Dalby and Selle on Monday mornings before school to run. We are meeting at 6:00 a.m. in front of Vista to get in 4 or 5 miles before school. If you need the motivation of the group to come out and run this is a great way for you to go the extra mile this season as a group.
- Underclassmen (Fr/So), make sure you are coming out to the Saturday practices. This will help put you ahead of the competition. Still not being challenged enough? Take advantage of Sunday's and go out and run!
August 13th-19th Schedule
Mon-MVHS Track 7:00 a.m. (Jrs/Srs Only)
MVHS 3:10 (Meet in front of building, everyone)
Tue-MVHS 3:10 (Meet in front of building, everyone)
Wed-MVHS 3:10 (Fart-lek)
6:00 p.m. Parent-Athlete Pre-Season Meeting (MVHS, room TBD)
Thur-6:00 a.m. run from Vista for anyone wanting to go the Extra Mile (we will open the
locker room to shower after)
3:30 Redstone Park (please arrange a ride after school) A coach will be at Vista for any
underclassman that can't find a ride.
6:00 p.m. Boulder Running Company MVHS Spike Night (20% off all shoes
Fri-3:10 MVHS (Tempo Workout)
Sat-8:00 a.m. South Platte Park Reservoir (Long Run)
Sun-Optional run on your own or with a teammate