Vista Nation had an amazing 2 mile time trial this past Friday. In fact, it was the best time trial we have ever had as a TEAM. I want to put a few things in perspective for everyone to show you what I mean.
- # of boys within 1 min of the 1st place finisher: 11 (13 within 61 seconds). Last year we only had 6.
- # of girls that broke 14 mins: 7 (compared to 3 last year)
- Boys TEAM average # of seconds improvement from 2013 to 2014: 77 seconds
- Girls TEAM average # of seconds improvement from 2013 to 2014: 48 seconds
- Biggest Improvement, Boys: Jordan Atkins, 339 seconds
- Biggest Improvement, Girls: Jessie Ehrman, 127 seconds
Here are the results form this years time trial. I have also included last years results so that you can compare last year to this:
It's hard to compare this year to last year when things were not exactly the same (conditions, workouts, etc). However, here are 3 things I know for sure after analyzing the time trial results.
- As a TEAM, we trained hard this summer. We are very well prepared right now and are in great shape entering the season
- We still have more work to do. Being fit in August does not mean being fit in October/November.
- Hard work pays off. Vista Nation is in for a very successful season if we keep working hard.
"Going the Extra Mile"
For those athletes that are "Going the Extra Mile right now here is what I suggest for the week:
Option #1: Wake up early before school 1 day this week and get in an extra 30 to 35 minute easy run to start your day. Wednesday is probably your best day to get your extra run in this week.
Option #2: Run an easy 30 to 60 minutes this Sunday on your own or with a teammate.
TEAM Dinner before Arapahoe
When: Thursday, August 28th (after practice)
Who: All members of the TEAM
Where: Delany Fitzimmon's House (an email will be sent out w/ the address during the week)
What to Bring:
- Frosh: Fruits/Salads
- Sophomores: Pasta/Main
- Juniors: Sides/Appetizers
- Seniors: Desserts/Water
This Friday is our first XC meet. Every member of Vista Nation will get a chance to race. Here are the details for the Arapahoe Invitational:
When: Friday, August 29th (Friday)
Where: DeKoevend Park (Arapahoe and University)
Out-of-Class: All XC athlets will be let out of class at 2:00
Busses: There will be 2 busses to DeKoevend leaving Vista at 2:15. All runners should be on the bus unless they talk to Coach Selle or Dalby during the week. Please arrange your own ride home after the meet, there is no return bus.
TEAM Meeting: After every meet we always have a TEAM meeting at the conclusion of the awards ceremony. This is where we hand out trophies and superman shirts for outstanding performances. Parents are encouraged to be at our TEAM meetings after each meet.
Schedule and Lineups for Arapahoe:
- 4:00 Frosh/Soph Boys (all frosh/soph boys on the TEAM)
- 4:03: Frosh/Soph Girls (all frosh/Soph girls not running in the varsity race)
- 4:50: Varsity Boys: (Smith, Currie, Matzke, Spieker, Grover, Hellier, N Romine)
- 5:20 Varsity Girls: (Fitzsimmons, Easton, Chipman, Walton, Nats, Soares, Goodrum)
- 5:55: Jr/Sr Boys (all Jr/Sr boys not running in the varsity race)
- 6:00: Jr/Sr Girls (all Jr/Sr girls not running in the varsity race)
- 7:00: Awards Ceremony and TEAM meeting: Please plan on staying for the awards ceremony and TEAM meeting after the meet. This is where we hand out trophies and superman shirts for outstanding performances. Parents are encouraged to be at the TEAM meeting.
Warm-up Leaders for Arapahoe:
- Fr/So Boys: J. Romine/Lovejoy
- Fr/So Girls: Ehrman/Shwartzkopf
- Varsity Boys: N.Romine
- Varsity Girls: Goodrum
- Jr/Sr Boys: O'Sullivan/Cushatt
- Jr/Sr Girls: Smetanka/Haberkorn
- Course map (Jpg, click to view)
Saturday Practice and Breakfast Afterwards
On Saturday we are meeting at the Bluffs Regional Park (Yosemite and Lincoln behind Super Target) for a long run. We would like every member of the TEAM to be there.
Afterwards, we will be heading to Einstein Bagels near 470 and Yosemite for breakfast. Please bring $$$ to eat after the run.
Labor Day Practice and the "Vista 500"
On Monday, September 1st (Labor Day) we will have practice at 6 p.m. This is traditionally the day we run our "Vista 500 workout" on the track. The coaching staff realizes that many families will be out of town this weekend. This is why we are pushing practice back to 6 that evening. We would like to ask that athletes make arrangements to be back in town in time for our Vista 500 workout on Monday night as it will be one of our only quality workouts that week.
Homecoming Week and Leagues
Each year, the League meet is always our most important TEAM competition. Our goal each year is to try and sweep the varsity, JV and open races at this meet.
This season,the League meet happens to be the same week as Homecoming. Because it is such an important event for our TEAM we are asking that athletes not participate in events such as Powder Puff football, dodgeball and volleyball.
The reason we are asking this of our athletes this week is to make sure we are fully prepared going into the League championships in all 6 racers. The coaching staff fully understands the commitment we are asking of our athletes this week. If this will be an issue for anyone we ask that you come talk to us sooner rather than later. No one on the team will be denied the opportunity to run at Leagues based on their decisions during homecoming week. However, our line-ups for the different races will be determined based on what extra curricular events athletes decide to participate in during the week.
New Mexico Trip
Next week is our varsity trip to Albuquerque New Mexico for the LoBo Invitational. We will be taking between 14-18 varsity athletes on this trip. The coaching staff will start letting athletes know on Monday if they are racing in New Mexico. However, athletes not asked to attend this week will still have an opportunity to earn their trip by racing well at Arapahoe on Friday. Here are the details for the New Mexico trip.
Who: Our to 14 to 18 boys and girls after the Arapahoe Invitational will be able to attend.
When: Leaving from Vista on Friday, September 5th at 8:00 a.m. and returning after the
meet around 7:00 p.m. on September 6th.
Cost for Athletes: Athletes will need to bring enough money to cover lunch on Friday and Saturday, along with dinner on Saturday night ($25-$30 total)
2014 Lobo XC Meet Info: https://admin.xosn.com/pdf9/2762999.pdf?
Course Map: https://admin.xosn.com/pdf9/2762617.pdf?
Hotel: Holiday Inn Express
2500 Menaul Bolevard NE
Albuquerque, NM 87107
Parent Drivers: If there are any parents that plan on going on the New Mexico trip to watch their athlete run and would be willing to transport other athletes to Albuquerque please email coach Dalby.
College Race: In addition to the HS races there will also be a mens and women's collegiate race at the Lobo Invite. The University of New Mexico is one of the premier NCAA Division 1 programs in the country and we will plan on staying to watch them race after the varsity HS races.
Schedule for Aug 25th-Labor Day
Mon-MVHS 3:10 p.m.
Tue-MVHS 3:10 p.m.
Wed-Rocky Heights 3:20
Thur-MVHS 3:10 p.m.
Fri-Arapahoe Invitational @ DeKoevend Park
Sat-The Bluffs Regional Park 7 a.m.
Panera Bread at I-25 and Yosemite after
Sun-30-60 minutes on your own, or rest
Mon-Sept 1st, MVHS 6 p.m. for the Vista 500