This week marks the 10th and final week of summer XC training. Over those weeks we have been very committed to both the training program and each other. Here are the goals that were set by the TEAM the first week we started meeting:
TEAM Goals for the 2013 XC Season
What's most important this season isn't whether or not we achieve these goals, but rather did we follow a process that will give us a chance to accomplish these things. As a TEAM, you have done an excellent job this summer working together, running for something bigger than yourself and following the training plan. These are all things that make up the process of achieving our goals.
When you are not racing, summer off season training can feel like a grind most days. It's hard to stay motivated sometimes, and it can be difficult to get in the work. But we have been consistent all summer long and in a few short weeks things will start paying off when the meets come around. There is still a lot of work ahead and we need to continue to follow the process, but as of week 10 of summer conditioning I feel like the TEAM is ahead of where I thought we would be. You have done an extraordinary job preparing this summer.
There are a few groups on the TEAM that I think deserve special recognition for their contributions this summer:
- The Girls TEAM: The girls have been on fire this summer! Of all the XC/Track off season programs that I have been around for at Vista it is clear that this group has been the most committed. Everyday you have shown up, gotten in the work and followed the process. Most importantly, you've been doing it together as a TEAM. Keep finding things to run for that are "BIGGER THAN YOURSELF" It's going to pay off for you throughout the fall.
- Coaches Selle, Cox, Cooke Woolley, Estell, and Sprakfe: I have one favor to ask of everyone this week. Take 15 seconds to thank these 6 coaches for dedicating a big part of their summer to you. These coaches care about you guys more than you know, and love being a part of this TEAM. Thank them for what they do, they are a special group of people! (It also happens that they all love coffee and/or bagels so if you happened to offer up buying them a cup at Einstein's on Thursday they wouldn't turn you down :)
- The Freshman: This has been an awesome group of freshman to work with this summer, and also our biggest! As an incoming runner, it can be very difficult to understand why we run so much in the summer months when we don't have meets until September. In a few short weeks, you are going to see that the time you spent this summer will pay off when your fitness is far beyond where it has ever been before.
Registration and Physicals
The 1st official day of the 2013 XC season is Monday, August 12th. If you have not registered yet please do so ASAP. The closing date to enroll online is tomorrow (Monday) afternoon according to the athletic office. Please make sure you take the 5 minutes needed to register for the upcoming XC season.
You also need to make sure you have an updated physical form on file with the athletic office in order to participate starting August 12th. If your physical has expired please take care of this ASAP.
Here is the link and directions for registration:
Training and Schedule for August 5th-11th
This week we are going to get in one really solid tempo workout in. That day will be on Wednesday when we meet at Vista. The schedule says otherwise, but I feel like we had such a solid week last week that only one BIG effort this week is needed. If you feel like you need more, pick one other run this week to do a negative split run on it.
On Friday, we are going to do a long run in Waterton Canyon. For most of you, I'm going to ask that you run further up the canyon than you ever have. For some of our oldest boys, this will mean running all the way to the end of the Canyon and back. If you've never gone all the way to the Waterton Canyon damn, it's a pretty awesome run at the very top. You will like this one a lot!
Mon-MVHS 7 a.m.
Tue-Redston Park 7 a.m.
Wed-MVHS 7 a.m. (Tempo Workout)
Thur-Dekoevend Park 7 a.m. (Bring $$$ for Einstein Bagels After the Run)
Fri-Waterton Canyon 7 a.m. (Long Run)
Sat-Run on your own or w/ a teammate
Additional Information Being Posted Later This Week on the Blog
- Schedule/Calendar info for the 2013 season
- Link to purchase Vista XC Gear Online
- NXN Info
2013 Continental League Championship
This fall, we are hosting the League Championship. In a few weeks we will be asking for help at our athlete-parent meeting in order to make this an awesome race! Here is the preliminary information about this years League Championship.
If there are any middle school parents that would be willing to come out and help at the meet with things such as being a course marshal, directing traffic, handing out awards, etc. please contact me at email@example.com.