This afternoon, CHAA released their modifications for the upcoming fall season.
CHSAA 2020 XC Modifications for COVID
- Reduce the maximum number of regular season meets: from 11 to 7. Every athlete can run in 7 meets, not counting Regionals and State.
- No alternate runners during regular season at invitationals: 5A runs 7 athletes during the regular season at invitationals, and scores 5 runners.
- State Meet moved up 2 weeks: October 17th is the new date
- No JV or open races at varsity meets: Schools can host a JV meet or open race separate from varsity. We are working with other TEAMS to make sure races happen for our Vista Nation XC athletes at all levels this season.
- 50 athletes per gender will be allowed at regular season meets: Total race size during the regular season cannot surpass 50 runners, per gender, at any meet (JV, Open, or Varsity). Races must start in waves of no more than 25. The coaching staff is working with other coaches to set races up to accommodate this at the Open, JV, and Varsity levels.
- Postseason rosters: Run 6, score 5 at the Regional and State Championship Meets.
- Regionals: 75 athletes per gender will be allowed. (This means MVHS is all0wed to run 6 boys and 6 girls at the regional qualifier this fall).
- State championship: 100 athletes per gender, per classification will be allowed to race. This means 3 teams (of 6 athletes each) from each region will qualify for state. In addition, the top 2 individual athletes (not on a qualifying team) will also qualify for state.
What Does All of This Mean for Vista Nation XC this Season?
We know that many of you are currently concerned about the upcoming XC season. Although there will be some necessary changes due to COVID in order to keep everyone safe, we do plan to have a XC season for all of our athletes at all levels (Open, Varsity, and JV)
Over the past 14 years, Coach Selle and I have taken pride in the fact that every athlete on our TEAM matters. That every member of the TEAM, regardless of ability level, plays a part in being a leader for the rest of their teammates. This season is really going to put that philosophy to the test. It will be the first time we have ever been asked to separate our TEAM at meets. Although we recognize that this is going to be a challenge, we have an opportunity to step up and be at our very best, even during these challenging times.
Winning or losing this season does not matter. We realize that this is not a popular thing to say on a TEAM that prides itself on working hard, making your individual goals secondary to our TEAM goals, and working hard everyday through the year in the hope that we can collectively achieve remarkable things. And we have always done these things together as a TEAM.
However, this year looks different. After reading the modifications above, you realize that during this season, we cannot be together at every meet. And, that there will be days where your teammates may not be able to cheer you on because they are training or racing somewhere else for the betterment of the TEAM.
This is a hard concept for all of us to understand, but also an opportunity to make us better. In fact, this exact moment in Vista Nation's history is an opportunity for us to achieve something remarkable together. A lot of TEAMS across the state this season are going to decide that only a few runners on their TEAM are important, but we wont do that. We have an opportunity to take pride in the fact that Vista Nation XC has always been about doing things together, because that is what makes us our best. We have never been about the work of 1 runner, or 5 runners, or 7, or 14, or anything like that. We are Vista Nation because every single member of this TEAM is important, and that is how we will continue to do things this season.
The coaching staff is very proud of you. During adversity over the past 5 months you have remained strong, and worked together, in order to make us the best TEAM we can possibly be. We do not know what the future holds for us this season, but the coaches know that you have worked hard throughout adversity, and when the time comes we will be ready to go out and represent our TEAM in the best way possible. There are a lot of other things we could all be doing right now, but the coaches wouldn't give up a second of this journey with you for anything else. We are proud of you, and looking forward to seeing all of your hard work pay off when we are finally called to race.
The 2020 Vista Nation XC TEAM will have one of the most lasting legacies in our program's history. What legacy are you going to leave?
Fall XC Registration
- Registration open until August 10th.
- Registration Link: https://mountainvista-ar.rschooltoday.com/node/50