If you have not taken your 2 weeks of yet please continue to do so. Even if you feel like running after a week off I still want you to take an additional week of recovery. You will come back more motivated, physically recovered from the season, and psychologically prepared to begin running again.
End-of-the-Season Honors and Rankings
Congratulations to the following members of the TEAM for their post-season recognition.
Parker MacKay: Selected to Colorado's Future Stars of XC Freshman Boys Team
Allie Chipman: Selected to Colorado's Future Stars of XC Freshman Girls Team
Boys XC Team: Ranked #34 in the United States by Dyestat.com
Running Track this Winter and Spring
I want to encourage everyone that is not participating in another sport this winter to join our off-season training program for track. Likewise, I also want to encourage those members of the TEAM that are playing a winter sport, but not participating in soccer, baseball, or lacrosse in the spring to come out for track. The reasons are simple:
- You will continue to develop as a distance runner
- Your relationships between you and your teammates will continue to grow
- Your overall foot speed will improve
- You will be in better shape for XC in the fall
- You have the opportunity to compete in other events outside of the 5K. Most of our athletes on the XC TEAM will be racing in the 800, 1600, 3200, 4x800, 400, and 4x400. However, some of you may decide to train specifically for the sprints (100-400), jumps, or throws.
December Training Schedule
The schedule for this month has been posted. Just like during the XC season, I have broken workouts up into 3 groups based on your age and ability. I wrote everything down as miles instead of minutes on the calendar. We will not be running any doubles/2-a-days in December. If you want to get in some extra mileage go out and run 4 to 7 miles on Sunday.
Whichever group you were in during the summer/fall is the same group that you should be in this winter and spring. I do not want anyone moving up a group at this time. In order to keep everyone healthy I would like for you to follow the same training plan you completed during XC until you have at least a year under your belt in that group. Here is the breakdown of the groups that you will see on the December training schedule.
- Group A: Freshman, new runners, and those that need to be on a lower mileage program. Volume will be between 20 t0 35 miles each week in December (more if you run on Sunday's)
- Group B: Runners that have completed at least 1 year of the A program, or those that are not quite ready for our highest mileage program. Between 35 and 45 miles most weeks during December.
- Group C: Our highest mileage group from XC this past season. Only juniors and seniors should be following this plan. Running between 45 and 60 miles most weeks in December.
December Training Schedule (pdf)
U.S. XC Champs, Indoor, and Road Races
This winter, there will be a handful opportunities for us to compete as a TEAM. The purpose of racing during the winter is to provide a fun and low key environment to test our fitness. Indoor track is one option. Although there is no official indoor season in Colorado there are opportunities most weekends in January and February for those that want to race. There are also road races most weekend if you are looking for a longer option to race (5K and up). Here is some additional info about racing this winter:
- Colorado indoor track and field meets and information
- Mark Saturday, February 7th on your calendar. We will be taking the team up to Boulder to compete and watch the U.S. Cross Country Championships. Athletes will be able to run in the H.S. 4K race and then watch the professional championship race.
- Put Saturday, February 21st on the calendar as well. For those interested we will be taking a group over to Hudson Gardens in Littleton to run the Snowman Stampede. Athletes have the choice to run 5 miles or if you are brave enough the 10 mile event.
The party this year will be on Friday, December 19th at 5:00 p.m. We will start with our usual ugly Christmas sweater run and then hang out to eat pizza and dessert afterwards. Thank you to the Smetanka family for inviting us into their home again this year!
Nike Cross Nationals and Footlocker Nationals Live Feed
Both NXN and Footlocker Nationals will be broadcast live over the internet. Here is where you can see both races.
- NXN live feed on Saturday, December 6th starting at 10:30 a.m.
- Foot Locker Nationals live feed on Saturday, December 13th starting at 10:15 a.m.
Schedule for December 1st-7th
Sat-Run on your own
Sun-Run on your own or Rest