The short answer is...yes, they should! Here are a few things to consider.
What is Strength Training?
- Strength training involves any physical activities we do at practice outside of running.
- This includes activities such as warm-up stretches and drills, post-run strength & mobility routines (SAM), hurdle mobility routines, plyometrics, and weight training.
Goals of strength train for runners?
Strength training has been shown to do the following for athletes that consistently make it part of their training routine:
- Improved running performance, including longer stride length and a faster sprint finish.
- Reduced risk of injury and stronger bones.
- Improved running technique.
- Ability to tolerate higher volumes and more challenging training in the future as you get stronger.
Who should strength train on our team?
Everyone! The weight room is open to every runner on our team, including freshman and athletes following plan 1.
Is there a plan to follow?
Sure is! Coach Palmer has put a very comprehensive strength training program together that starts in January and will go all the way though the end of the track season in June. Coach Palmer will update the plan at the link below as we move through the season.
- 2021 Weight Room Plan (link)
When is the weight room open for distance runners?
Athletes wanting to lift weights will have the following options before school throughout the off season:
- Tuesday's from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m.
- Friday's from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
How are we keeping athletes safe in the weight room during COVID?
- Athletes must wear a mask inside of the weight room at all times.
- Max of 25 people in the weight room.
- Athletes who are not running a morning run will have weight room access first.
- By the time athletes running a morning run return to the weigh room the first group will already be done. This will help to keep the number of athletes in the weight room small and with space to socially distance.
Schedule for January 18th-24th
Monday: No school/official practice. Run on your own or with a teammate.
- Plan 1: 30 minutes + strides
- Plan 2: 40 minutes + strides
- Plans 3 and 4: 50 minutes + strides
- Weight-room: 6:00-7:00 a.m. @ MVHS
- 3:10 @ MVHS
- 3:20 @ Rocky Heights Middle School
- 3:20 @ Redstone Park
- Weight-room: 6:30-7:30 a.m.
- 3:10 p.m. @ MVHS
- Aspen Grove Panera Bread @ 8 a.m.
- On your own or w/ a teammate
Online Payment for Winter Off-Season Conditioning
The link to online payment for our high school and middle school off-season camps should be available by Tuesday this week. Coach Dalby will send out an email with the link to everyone as soon as it goes live.
Please remember to fill out the Google Form to be on the winter roster if you have not done so already.
Winter Race Series Information