For this weeks blog, I have added a few resources for those interested in learning more about the sport of distance running. All three resources are geared toward high school athletes, and meant to help you maximize your potential as a runner.
Three Resources to Help You Unlock Your Potential as a HS Runner
- 5 XC Training Tips for High School Runners (article)
- Pathways to Excellence for Runners Seeking to Improve (article)
- Consistency is Key: 15 Ways to Unlock Your Potential as a High School Runner (book)
- Thing to consider before you ever lace up your shoes to run (talent vs. excellence, attention span for hard work, progression, etc.)
- What to train (aerobic training, anaerobic training, strength training)
- How to train (Run by feel, easy days vs hard days, practice race pace, ABC training, going further and faster)
- Understanding different ways to race
- The other 22 Hours of the Day (sleep, nutrition, hydration, and listening to your body)
- Team profiles: Vista Nation XC along w/ other great programs that are friends of ours from across the nation like Louden Valley (VA), American Fork (UT), Great Oak (CA), Sandburg (IL), and several more are profiled in the book.
Video Resources For Warm-ups and SAM
The following videos are for those looking to improve your form and technique on our warm-up activities and SAM (strength and mobility). Check it out!
Schedule for July 19th-25th
Mon: Writer's Vista Park @ 7 a.m.
Tue: MVHS @ 7 a.m.
Wed: Bluffs Regional Park @ 7 a.m.
Thur: MVHS @ 7 a.m.
Fri: Rocky Heights Middle School @ 7 a.m.
Sat: Red Stone Park @ 7 a.m. (long run)
Sun: Run on your own or w/ a teammate
The Final Surge Training App
Training for each week is now being posted for you in the Final Surge App for both high school and middle school runners. This will help you to know what your daily workouts are before you come to practice each day, along w/ knowing what to run when you are out of town during the summer.
If you have not signed-up yet for the Final Surge App, or need help doing so, please take a look at the following link for assistance.
Summer Training Guiduelines for Athletes
Each high school athlete on the TEAM will be assigned a training plan this summer. I will start putting names on the plans this week once summer registration is complete. Here is a description of each plan. If you are unsure which plan to follow please come and ask a member of the coaching staff.
- Plan 1: New high school runners, or those needing to be on our lowest volume plan. Most freshmen will be in this group. This group will run 6 times a week. Athletes following Plan 1 will take all Sundays off from running.
- Plan 2: Athletes that have consistently followed Plan 1 plan during the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Sophomores that ran both XC and track will be ready for this plan. This group will run between 6 to 7 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's or double occasionally during the week.
- Plan 3: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for a higher volume plan. Consistently followed plan 2 during the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Upperclassmen that ran both XC and track last year. This group will run between 7 to 8 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's or double during the week.
- Plan 4: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for our highest volume plan. Have successfully followed plan 3 over the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Have run both XC and track for the last 2 years. This group will run between 7 to 9 times per week depending on the needs of the individual athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's or double during the week.
Cross Country Summer Camp Information
- Information for our summer 2021 cross country camp can be found HERE.
- Registration Link for Summer XC can be found HERE.