Congratulations goes out to three of our athletes on their performances in St. Louis Missouri last week at the Festival of Miles! Juniors Sarah O'Sullivan and Maddie Reed both ran season best times of 5:02.08 and 5:05.26 for a full mile (5:00 and 5:03 conversions to 1600 meters). Sophomore Harrison Witt competed in the 800 meters with a new school record time of 1:52.87. Race videos, results, and articles about the event are posted on Milesplit. This is a meet we hope to continue to send athletes to in the future:
Pre-Season Cross Country Letter
All high school athletes and parents should take a few minutes to read our pre-season cross country letter so that you are up-to-date on all things Vista Nation XC for the 2019 season .
- 2019 Pre-Season Letter (pdf)
Schedule for June 4th-10th
Monday: Summer XC Begins
-7 a.m. at the MVHS Track
Tuesday: MVHS 7 a.m.
Wednesday: Redstone Park (Duck Pond) 7 a.m.
Thursday: MVHS 7 a.m.
Friday: East/West Trail Lot (Daniel's Park Rd.) 7 a.m.
- Team Breakfast at Einstein Bagel on
University after run. Bring $$$ to eat.
Saturday: Writer's Vista Park 7 a.m.
Sunday: On Your Own or call a teammate to run
Summer Training Plans for Athletes
Each high school athlete on the TEAM will be assigned a training plan this summer. I will start putting names on the plans this week once summer registration is complete. Here is a description of each plan. If you are unsure which plan to follow please come and ask a member of the coaching staff.
- Plan 1: New high school runners, or those needing to be on our lowest volume plan. Most freshmen will be in this group. This group will run 6 times a week. Athletes following Plan 1 will take all Sundays off from running.
- Plan 2: Athletes that have consistently followed Plan 1 plan during the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Sophomores that ran both XC and track will be ready for this plan. This group will run between 6 to 7 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's or double occasionally during the week.
- Plan 3: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for a higher volume plan. Consistently followed plan 2 during the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Upperclassmen that ran both XC and track last year. This group will run between 7 to 8 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following this plan will run on Sunday's or double during the week.
- Plan 4: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for our highest volume plan. Have successfully followed plan 3 over the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Have run both XC and track for the last 2 years. This group will run between 7 to 9 times per week depending on the needs of the individual athlete. Athletes followng this plan will run on Sunday's or double during the week.
Training Calendar for June 10th-16th
Every week a training plan will be posted for you to follow. This will help you to know what your daily workouts are before you come to practice each day along w/ knowing what to run when you are out of town during the summer.
Goal Setting BBQ's
Our goal setting BBQ's are on Tuesday and Thursday next week. Both goal setting meetings are for all high school members of the TEAM including the incoming freshman.
- Boys Goal Setting Meeting: Tuesday, June 18th at 5-8 p.m. @ Coach Dalby's house. Email will be sent w/ the address next week.
- Girl's Goal Setting Meeting: Thursday, June 20th at 5-8 p.m. @ Coach Dalby's house. Email will be sent w/ address next week.
The goal setting meetings are for every member of the TEAM to attend that can make it, and something I consider to be the most important TEAM meeting of the entire year. It sets a purpose for our training this summer, and allows us to set a focus for the season.
- What to Bring With You
- Please bring a folding chair or camping chair with you to the meeting. Everything else will be covered.
Godzilla Shirt Requirements
- Godzilla is earned, not given!!!
- In order to earn your Godzilla shirt this summer the following requirements must be met.
- Consistently run everyday over the summer by following the summer plan you are assigned. Plans will be posted starting the week of June 10th.
- Be at all morning runs when you are in town.
- When you are on vacation go out and do your assigned runs on your own.
- Keep a running log of your choice to keep track of your summer training. All training must be logged to get a shirt! Examples of running logs include:
- Present your running log to the coaches the first week of September to get your Godzilla shirt!!!!
- Bring a running watch of your own EVERYDAY to practice!!!!
- Special prizes at the end of the summer for Godzilla tights and shower curtains...