As a distance runner, it is important to be accountable to your own training. This is where running logs come into play. By logging your miles everyday in the same consistent place you are able to track and see how much you are doing. Here are a few additional reasons to be logging your miles each day:
- To know how much you are training each week/month/season
- To show progress in your training
- To make sure you are not over doing it in training
- Use with coaches to make sure your training is on track
- As a way to measure progress towards your individual and TEAM goals
- To compare from one season to the next, and to show improvement
- If an injury occurs, it can help to go back and look at your log to see if a problem can be identified.
2016 Vista Summer Running Log
This summer we would like every member of the TEAM to log their summer miles. There are lots of ways to do this, but we are asking that at the very least everyone use the following link, and share it with the coaching staff. Here is how you will use it:
- Click on the Summer Mileage Tracking spreadsheet (link) that Coach Selle put together for us. Selle has made this so your weekly, monthly, and summer mileage will continuously add up for you...because Selle is the man!!!!
- Go to "File" and then "Make a copy" of the log, and rename it with your first/last name in the title (i.e. Jonathan Dalby Summer Mileage Tracking). You will need to log in with your DCSD account.
- High school runners, share your log w/ all 4 coaches by copying and pasting our email addresses in the shared link in the top right corner of the log (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Middle school runners can share their log with coaches Sprafke and Estell if you choose to keep one (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- After every run, take 15 seconds to input your days miles in Google Drive on the spreadsheet. You can do this at home, or from your phone.
- Go back and upload the first 2 weeks of runs in the app by the end of this week.
- At the end of the summer, those athletes that have consistently logged their miles everyday, and are consistently running everyday, will receive their Vista XC beanie and look super cool all the time!!! In order to earn your beanie you must log your miles everyday.
Additional ways to log miles
Our spreadsheet is very simple, and we are asking that every member of the TEAM always log their miles in these spreadsheets. However, for those that are looking for a few other options that are more detailed, here you go!
- Old school $1 notebook. You can write down additional info such as pace, terrain, weather, how you felt, exact workouts, splits on intervals and reps, nutrition, hydration, sleep, etc.
- Buy a running log like this one for about $10: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Runners-Day-Day-Calendar/dp/1449465080
- There are some pretty savvy apps out there as well that you can be using: 27 Apps Every Runner Should Know About (link)
Training Plan Links
In order to view plans, you must log in with your DCSD Google account. Parents, please click on your child's training plan, and ask me to share it with you so that you can view.
Schedule for June 13th-19th
Mon- East/West Trail Lot on Daniel's Park Rd 7 a.m.
(Take Griggs Rd to where it turns into Daniel's Park. The lot is on the left.)
Tue-MVHS 7 a.m.
Wed-Redstone Park 7 a.m.
Thur-MVHS 7 a.m.
Fri- DeKoevend Park (Meet at University Lot just past
Bring $$$ for Einstein Bagels afterwards
Sat-Look at workout schedule and run on your own
Sun-Optional run on your own