The start of another cross country season is just around the corner! The coaching staff is excited to see what is in store for us this year and has been busy organizing plans for the summer. With hard work and commitment during the months of June, July, and August the 2022 TEAM can add to Vista Nation’s legacy of success!
Our official start date for summer training is Monday, June 6th beginning at 7 a.m. We will meet five to six days a week throughout the summer around the Highlands Ranch area to train together, eat breakfast, and have fun as a TEAM! We will also meet on Saturday mornings for our weekly long run.
At the bottom of this weeks blog post is an FAQ document to help everyone get started off this summer. The coaching staff knows that athletes and parents have lots of questions about the upcoming season. This resources is meant to help answer any questions you may have. We will be adding additional information to our FAQ doc throughout the summer to help keep all members of Vista Nation XC informed.
Schedule for June 6th-12th
Mon: MVHS @ 7 a.m. (Middle School Fields)
Tue: MVHS @ 7 a.m. (Middle School Fields)
Wed: MVHS @ 7 a.m. (Middle School Field)
Thur: MVHS @ 7 a.m. (Middle School Fields)
Fri: Grigs Road Pavilion @ 7 a.m.
Sat: Red Stone Park (Duck Pond) @ 7 a.m.
Sun: On your own or call a teammate
Cross Country Summer Camp Information
- Information for our summer 2022 cross country camp can be found HERE.
- Registration information for the Vista Nation XC Summer 2022 Camp can be found HERE.
The Final Surge Training App for Athletes
Starting this week training will be posted for you in the Final Surge App. This will help you to know what your daily workouts are before you come to practice each day, along w/ knowing what to run when you are out of town during the summer.
If you have not signed-up yet for the Final Surge App, or need help doing so, please take a look at the following link for assistance.
Summer Training Plans for Athletes
Each high school athlete on the TEAM will be assigned a training plan this summer. Athlete names will show up on plans once registration is completed. Below is a basic description of each plan. If you are unsure which plan to follow please come and discuss with a member of the coaching staff.
- Plan 1: New high school runners, or those needing to be on our lowest volume plan. All freshmen will be in this group. Plan 1 athletes typically run 5 to 6 times a week, and take all Sundays off from running.
- Plan 2: Athletes that have consistently followed Plan 1 plan during the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Sophomores that ran both XC and track will be ready for this plan. This group will run between 6 to 7 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following plan 2 will have optional Sunday runs.
- Plan 3: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for a higher volume plan. Consistently followed plan 2 throughout the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Upperclassmen that ran both XC and track last year. This group will run between 6 to 8 times per week depending on the individual needs of the athlete. Athletes following this plan will have optional Sunday runs, along with 1 to 2 optional morning runs during parts of the season.
- Plan 4: Upperclassmen athletes that are ready for our highest volume plan. Have successfully followed plan 3 over the last year w/ little to no injury issues. Have run both XC and track the previous 2 years. This group will run between 6 to 8 times per week depending on the needs of the individual athlete. Athletes following this plan will have optional Sunday runs, along with 1 to 2 optional morning runs during parts of the season.
Aerobic Monster Shirts
The aerobic monster is earned, not given!! In order to earn your Aerobic Monster shirt this summer (see below) the following requirements must be met.
- Consistently complete your runs during the months of June, July, and August by following the summer plan you are assigned. Plans will be posted starting the week of June 6th.
- Be at all morning runs when you are in town this summer.
- When you are on vacation go out and do your assigned runs on your own.
- Log your runs everyday in Final Surge. All training must be logged to earn a shirt!
- Coaches will check running logs throughout the summer on Final Surge.
- The coaches will award Aerobic "Care Bare" Monster shirts the week of September 5th.
- Bring a running watch of your own EVERYDAY to practice!!!!
- Both middle school and high school athletes are eligible to earn an aerobic monster shirt.
The following document is meant to help both athletes are parents with the upcoming XC season. Please feel free to use it to help answer any questions you may have about the summer and fall XC season. Have a question? Please contact Coach Dalby or our parent liaison Jen Christians with questions. We will update the document as new questions arise.
Questions Answered in Document
- What is cross country?
- I've never run long distance before, is cross country right for me?
- Where do I find the practice schedule for the week?
- What do I need to know about Vista Nation XC summer camp?
- What is Final Surge?
- How do you individualize the program and make sure that athletes are running appropriate amounts?
- How do I get the most out of my summer training?
- As a parent, how can I support my athlete?
- What is an iron and ferritin check and why is it important as a distance runner?
- What is the meet schedule for the upcoming 2022 season?
- What is NXR (the Arizona trip)?
- Can all XC athletes go to NXR in November?
- What sorts of strength training and mobility do we do?
- How do I earn an aerobic monster shirt?
- Should I/my athlete take time off from running after the end of the track season?
- Will my child need a physical to participate?
- Where are practice locations?
- What is the best shoe for cross country?
- Am I injure or sore?
- How can my child be successful in XC?
- In season, off campus practices: How do we get our athletes there after school?
- How can I encourage my shy underclassmen to participate?
- What is TEAM goal setting?
- How do I get MVHS XC gear?
- Hi, I'm new here, I want to be more involved, how do I do that?
- How does a TEAM score in cross country?
- Can you help me with some of the cross country vocabulary?
- How do I watch a cross country race?