If you were at the meet on Saturday then you understand why the coaches are excited about where we are right now as a TEAM! We walked away from the meet all agreeing that every single athlete at Mountain Vista had a great performance. Even better, every single person helped contribute to our success on Saturday. Here are some of the highlights.
- Boys Varsity: We took 2nd place (70 to 90) behind The Classical Academy from Colorado Springs. We set 6 runners that have been running varsity so far this year so they could train, but our younger guys stepped up in a big way! TCA is ranked #3 in the state right now for 4A and is in the hunt for a state championship come October. They beat us but we put up an excellent fight with a 1 to 5 gap of only 40 seconds.
- Girls Varsity: Classical Academy beat us by only 4 pts (56 to 60). TCA is a great team and is currently ranked #1 in the state for 4A . A week earlier they beat us by 55 pts. This is a massive improvement. Also, our gap from 1-5 went form 77 seconds to 55 seconds this week. On Thursday we can get it under 45 seconds if we really go for it! TCA is a great team and is currently ranked #88 in the United States out of all high school XC teams in the U.S. We have also beat Air Academy twice this year who is currently ranked #43 in the U.S. XC running in CO is ultra competitive, but right now you are making strides to keep up with some of the best teams in America.
- JV Boys: The boys dominated the JV race scoring 26 pts with a 1-5 spread of only 22 seconds. This is an unbelievable spread time! Our boys competed with a lot of courage. If you want to see how our young athletes compare to others in the state check out the current state time rankings. You can adjust the teams scored by looking at teams returning in 2014, 2015 and 2016: http://co.milesplit.com/teamscores/2013/cc/hs/m/5000m?l=&rt=1&spt=5&rankby=score
- JV Girls: We swept the top 4 spots and scored an impressive 18 points. Karyn Schwartzkopf deserves special recognition for being the only Vista athlete on the day to win a race. Our gap from 1-5 was 72 seconds. On Thursday at Coronado we have a chance to get our spread to under 60 seconds if we really go for it.
- Full results, meet article, pictures and video can be viewed on Colorado Milesplit: http://co.milesplit.com/meets/146273-pueblo-central-invitational#.UjZZ7RbalUS
- Shutterfly Pictures from our parents: https://vistanation.shutterfly.com/pictures/1411
September 16th-22nd: Coronado Cougar Invitational
Mon-MVHS Practice @ 3:10
Tue-MVHS Practice @ 3:10
-Elementary School XC Race 5-7:30
Wed-MVHS Practice @ 3:10
-Team dinner after practice
Thur-Coronado Cougar Invitational at Monument
Valley Park in CO Springs
Fri-Redstone Park Practice @ 3:20
Sat-8 a.m. Practice, all Vista athletes
Panera Bread at Aspen Grove Shopping Center
off of Santa Fe (bring $$$ for breakfast after,
parents are welcome to join)
Sun-Optional Run on your own or w/ a teammate
Coronado Cougar Invitational Line-ups and Meet Info
Updated on 9/17
Meet information (click to view PDF)
"Going the Extra Mile"
If you are running the extra mile right now I want you to get in 2 extra runs this week of 30-35 minutes. Keep these runs at a recovery pace. I say 2 instead of 1-2 because this is probably going to be a lower volume week for us. The days I recommend you do this are on Monday, Tueaday or Friday. Going out for an easy run on Sunday will also work.
Elementary School XC Meet
Please remember that our make up date for the elementary school meet is on Tuesday. We are going to go for a run this day from Vista and then work the met afterwards from 5-7:30. All Vista athletes should be in attendance.
Saturday Practice at Aspen Groove Panera Bread
Saturday morning we are going to meet at 8 a.m. at the Aspen Grove Panera Bread to run the Platte River Trail. Most likely I will be putting you into groups to do some kind of medium paced progression run. Bring money for breakfast, we are going to Panera afterwards.
We would love for parents to join us on Saturday after the run. Please feel free to come out for breakfast after the kids finish their workout.
Thank you to everyone that has completed their fundraising. We are very close to achieving our fundraising goals for the season at this time. If you have not yet turned in your fundraising donations please do so ASAP. At this point, we can no longer accept fundraising letters.