When you work hard great things can happen. When you work hard consistently every single day, some pretty amazing things can happen! We had some amazing things go down this past weekend. For starters, winning the girls Rock Canyon JV and varsity races, and placing 4th at Woodbridge on the same day is a huge deal! It speaks volumes of the kind of depth you have built into this TEAM. It's true, not everyone gets to run in the varsity races, but everyone does have a responsibility on this TEAM to give your best effort daily and push your teammates to be their best. That is exactly what I see happening right now with our TEAM. We have 120 runners that are out working hard everyday to make our entire TEAM better. Keep doing your part, and at the end of the season we can have more amazing days of racing. Here are a few highlights/takeaways from the weekend:
- Rock Canyon Varsity Boys: We placed 6th with a total TEAM time of 85:40 and a 17:08 average for our front 5. Last year we were 85:19 at a 17:03 average. This is a pretty comparable result, with one HUGE exception. Last years team at Rock Canyon was made up of 4 upperclassmen, this year only 1. This tells me that like last year, we are on pace to take a crack at our season goals, but our younger runners this year are out performing last years upperclassmen. Very encouraging for our future! Our 1 to 5 spread was only 33 seconds at RC.
- Rock Canyon Varsity Girls: WOW!!!! Winning this one handily is very impressive, especially with a 19:50 average and a 30 second 1 to 5 gap. Last year at Rock Canyon we finished 2nd with a 20:32 average with a 41 second 1 to 5 spread. We have made huge improvements with the depth of our girls team this year!
- Rock Canyon JV Boys: 2nd place to a very deep Rock Canyon team, but it was close. We will have to tighten things up to be ready for Leauges, but on Saturday our 1 to 5 gap was only 23 seconds!
- Rock Canyon JV Girls: A huge win for the girls by scoring only 26 pts, and winning by over 40! This one was a blow out! We are looking poised and ready to do some damage in a few weeks at Leagues, but we need to stay consistent and keep working until then. Our gap from 2 to 6 was 60 seconds, and seeing Allie Chipman out runner for our TEAM again is very inspirational!
- Woodbridge Sweepstakes Boys: Pretty special to go up and compete against some of the nations best teams. Winning this one is fun, but it makes the target even bigger on our backs. Our achilles-heel right now is our 1 to 5 (and 1 to 7 gap). Our spread was :34 seconds on Saturday. This is good, but if we want to take care of business at Leagues, State, and NXR we are going to have to close the door faster on our scoring 5, and get our 6 and 7 in front of everyone else's top 5. The challenge is to cut the 1 to 5 gap in half before the state meet, and get our 6 and 7 in the mix w/ our front 5. It can be done by continuing to work hard in practice, and letting your teammates push you to be your best!
- Woodbridge Sweepstakes Girls: A pretty amazing showing from our girls, especially w/ a bunch of athletes that have never been in this kind of competition before. Placing 4th here is an outstanding showing against some of the best teams from the United States! Our spread was under a minute at :54 seconds. This is pretty good, but just like with the boys I challenge you to cut this in half before the seasons end.
- Rock Canyon Results, Pictures, Articles (link)
- Woodbridge Results, Videos, Pictures, Articles (link)
- Woodbridge Boys Interview on Dyestat (link)
We could use everyone's help this season with fundraising, and are providing several options for you to help us meet our financial goals for the season. All funds go to things like paying assistant coaching stipends, meet entries, uniforms, and transportation on school busses. We have 3 easy fundraising options available for you to help us out:
- King Soopers or Safeway Grocery Cards (link to info)
- Join the MVHS XC Booster Club (Online Registration)
- Use a grocery card, and join the Booster Club
Schedule for September 19th-25th
Mon- Redstone Park 3:20 p.m. for long run
Tue-MVHS 3:10 p.m.
Wed-A.M Run 6 a.m. MVHS
Thur-A.M. Run 6:30 a.m. MVHS
-P.M. MVHS 3:10
Fri- Dave Sanders Invitational
Sat-7 a.m. DeKoevend Park
-Einstein Bagels After, bring $$$
Sun-Optional run on your own, or day off
Training Document for the Week
Please review this weeks training document so that you know what your runs are before coming to practice each day.
Link to Team Training Document
Dave Sanders Invitational
When: Friday, September 23rd
Where: Clement Park, Littleton
Transportation: Arrive at Vista by 12:45 on Friday, busses leave at 1:00. One bus will return to Vista after the meet at at approximately 7 p.m. Athletes are encouraged to ride home with their parents after the team meeting on Friday as we will only have one bus on the way back.
ORDER OF RACES:
3:00 D1 Varsity Boys Run 10, Score 5 (Line-ups TBD)
3:10 D2 Varsity Girls Run 10, Score 5
3:40 D1 Open Boys “B” Team Run 10, Score 5 (Line-ups TBD)
3:50 D2 Open Girls Unlimited, Score 5
4:20 D2 Varsity Boys Run 10, Score 5
4:30 D1 Varsity Girls Run 10, Score 5 (line-ups TBD)
5:00 D2 Open Boys Unlimited, Score 5
5:10 D1 Open Girls “B” Team Run 10, Score 5 (line-ups TBD)
5:40 D1 Open Boys “C” Team Unlimited, Score 5 (Line-ups TBD)
5:50 D1 Open Girls “C” Team Unlimited, Score 5 (Line-ups TBD)
6:20 Presentation of Awards
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place team trophies will be awarded to the varsity divisions. Top 10 varsity individuals in each division will receive medals, and the 11th thru 25th place varsity individuals will receive ribbons. Top 25 individuals in each open division will receive ribbons.