Mon: Redstone Park @ 3:20 p.m.
Tue: MVHS Track @ 3:00 p.m.
Wed: Writer's Vista @ 3:20 p.m.
Thur: No Scheduled Practice
Fri: No Scheduled Practice
Saturday: Foot Locker XC Nationals
Sunday: On your own or w/ a teammate
Nike Cross Nationals Results
Congratulations to our girls team for finishing 3rd at Nike Cross Nationals this past weekend in Portland! This is the first time a girls team from Mountain Vista has made the podium at NXN.
Beginning of Track Preparation
- December 4th-17th Running Plan (Google Doc)
- The link above is a general plan for athletes to follow who are planning on preparing for the upcoming track and field season in the spring.
- Athletes that are competing in a winter sport should focus on the season they are currently in.
- Anyone looking for advice about running while being involved in a winter sport should communicate with a coach. We would be happy to help you plan your running workouts (if you choose) while also focusing on your winter athletic goals.
Post-Season XC/Pre-Season Track Meeting
When: Tuesday, December 12th at 3 p.m. (the meeting will last about 20 minutes)
Where: Dalby's Room (L503)
Why: To discuss time off after XC and the upcoming track and field season including winter conditioning, off-season race opportunities, spring travel trips, etc.
Time Off From Running
Everyone should plan on taking off at least 2 weeks from running after your last race of the season. A few things to consider:
- Take a 2 full weeks off from running. Let your body recuperate after a long season of XC training and racing.
- If you would like to take a 3rd week off, do it! Your track season will not suffer because you took 3 weeks off.
- Need more time than 3 weeks? Talk to the coaches about it, but nobody should return to training until they are feeling refreshed, mentally ready, and motivated to do so.
- Workouts for December through winter break will be posted in a few weeks. We will not officially meet for practice as a team at this time. However, call your teammates if you are looking for someone to run with.
- No intense workouts in December. Just easy running and enjoying what you are doing. We will return to faster workouts sometime in mid to late January.
- Info on how to sign up for winter conditioning for track will be up on the blog sometime in December.
December is a great time to get your ferritin levels checked again. The coaches recommendation is to have your ferritin levels checked at a minimum of twice a year: Once after the track season, and once after XC season. If the last time you had your levels checked was before XC, it is time to get them looked at again.
Below is information about the importance of iron/ferritin for distance runners. Please review as needed, and have your iron levels checked if you have not recently done so. This goes for both boys and girls. Rule of thumb, get your ferritin levels checked at least twice a year by a doctor. A ferritin level of 30 is the minimum number acceptable for adequate performance as a distance runner. We also recommend that every athlete on the team be taking an iron supplement that works for them. Please come talk to the coaches if you have questions.
- The Importance of Iron in Distance Runners (Blog Post)
- Why You Should Get Your Ferritin Levels Checked (Blog Post)
- A letter from a doctor, with references, about ferritin levels for endurance athletes that you can take with you to your medical provider when you get tested. (Doc)
- Are Your Ferritin Levels Up to Speed? Top Coaches Take Tests for Iron Seriously (article)
- Ironing Out the Details: Know the facts about ferritin and iron before deciding to supplement (article)
Winter Conditioning Registration
Registration: Link Available Shortly
Registration Deadline: January 7th
Who: All middle school and high school distance athletes wanting to prepare for the upcoming spring track and field season.
Camp Dates: December, January, February
- High School Athletes will meet 6 days a week from Monday to Saturday.
- Middle School Athletes will meet 2 days a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Middle School Athletes are welcome to come the other days, however, Coach Sprafke will only be available two days a week.
Where: MVHS and local running trails in the Highlands Ranch area.
- High School Athletes $250
- Middle School Athletes $100