As your coach, I feel very strongly about the following issue related to iron and distance runners. I have been involved in this sport for over 20 years, both as an athlete and as a coach. Every season there is one issue that I see time and time again, regardless of age, sex, or number of miles you are running. That issue is anemia, or being iron deficient. Below I have posted 2 articles related to the subject that I would like every family, both parents and athletes, to read. Educating yourself on these issues is very important. Not being a medical expert I can obviously not recommend whether, or not you should be taking an iron supplement, but I do encourage it for most of our runners. Here are a few things every family should be thinking about in regards to iron levels:
- Get your ferritin levels tested 3-4 times a year by your medical provider, and know your numbers. I recommend at least once every off-season, and once mid-season for both XC and track.
- Consider an iron supplement, and talk to your medical provider about how much you either should, or should not be taking.
- Educate yourself on what iron does for you as a runner, and how it can hurt when you are lacking.
The following 2 Runner's World Articles do a really nice job explaining in detail the importance of iron for runners, and all things related to it. Again, it is very important that all families educate themselves on these issues, and that you get your athletes levels checked before the season starts.
- Are Your Ferritin Levels Up to Speed? Top Coaches Take Tests for Iron Seriously
- Ironing Out the Details: Know the facts about ferritin and iron before deciding to supplement
Videos/Articles of the Week
A few other things to check out this week including a new women's world record in the 1500, and a nice article about our girls TEAM.
- Continental League Girls: The Eagles are Golden
- Dibaba Runs 3:50.07 to Smash the World Record! Rowbury Crushes American Record (Video and Article)
- Asbel Kiprop Puts On An Exhibition In Monaco 1500, Running 3:26.69 To Destroy Field And Become Third-Fastest Man In History (Video and Article)
Final Gear Orders
Due tonight at midnight!
Official 2015 XC Meet Schedule
Attached is our official meet schedule. Please remember that the League Championships is being held during our Fall Break this year. Because of the meet's significance we are asking every member of our TEAM to stay in town this year. Information about both the post-season and Leagues can be found in the pre-season letter sent out in May to our returning athletes.
- Official 2015 XC Meet Schedule (pdf)
- Pre-Season letter in regard to League's and Post-Season Trips (pdf)
Schedule for July 20th-26th
Mon-Red Stone Park 7 a.m.
Tue-MVHS 7 a.m.
Wed-The Bluffs 7 a.m.
Thur-MVHS 7 a.m.
Sat-Run on your own/with a teammate. Check Training Peaks to see what your run is.
Sun-Optional Run on your own, or w/ a teammate. Check Training Peaks to see what your run is.