- If you checked out a uniform for the season pease bring them to practice at either MVHS (Monday) or Redstone Park (Thursday) this week.
- If you earned a varsity letter award this season we will also be handing them out this week once you return your uniform.
- Uniform fines will be handed into the athletic office on Friday. Please bring your uniforms on either Monday or Thursday to avoid a $100 fines.
Beginning of Track Preparation: 4-Week December Plan
- 4 Week Start of 2021 Track and Field Training Plan (link)
- Above is a general plan for athletes to follow who are planning on preparing for the upcoming track and field season in the spring.
- Athletes that are competing in a winter sport should focus on the season they are currently in.
- Anyone looking for advice about running while being involved in a winter sport can communicate with a coach. We would be happy to help you plan your running workouts (if you choose) while also focusing on your winter athletic goals.
Optional Meet-Up Runs: December 7th-20th
- We will have a few optional meet-ups on Monday's and Thursday's the next two weeks @ 3 p.m.
- See schedules below for meetup locations.
- These meetups are 100% optional.
- Due to current DCSD guidelines related to COVID we will have to run in smaller groups of 5 to 10. We will also be required to separate everyone in groups of 5 to 10 when warming up out on the fields.
- Please bring your masks to practice and plan to keep them on anytime you are not running. Your mask should be with you at all times, even when running.
- We will touch base at our optional runs the next two weeks about meeting over winter break.
Schedule for December 7th-13th
- Monday, December 7th: MVHS 3 p.m. (meet on the Middle School Fields)
- Tuesday, December 8th: On your own or call your teammates to run.
- Wednesday, December 9th: On your own or call your teammates to run.
- Thursday, December 10th: Redstone Park 3 p.m.
- Friday, December 11th: On your own or call our teammates to run.
- Saturday, December 12th: On your own or call your teammates to run.
- Sunday, December 13th: Rest
Schedule for December 14th-20th
- Monday, December 14th: Writer's Vista.
- Tuesday, December 15th: On your own or call your teammates to run.
- Wednesday, December 16th: On your own or call your teammates to run.
- Thursday, December 17th: Redstone Park 3 p.m.
- Friday, December 18th: On your own or call our teammates to run.
- Saturday, December 19th: On your own or call your teammates to run.
- Sunday, December 20th: On your own or cal your teammates to run -or- Rest
If you have not had your ferritin levels checked since the end of XC please do so before the start of the new year. Our recommendation is to have your ferritin levels checked at a minimum of twice a year: Once after the track season, and once after XC season. If the last time you had your levels checked was before XC, it is time to get them looked at again.
Below is information about the importance of iron/ferritin for distance runners. Please review as needed, and have your iron levels checked if you have not recently done so. This goes for both boys and girls. Rule of thumb, get your ferritin levels checked at least twice a year by your doctor. A ferritin level of 30 is the minimum number acceptable for adequate performance as a distance runner. We also recommend that every athlete on the team be taking an iron supplement that works for them. Please come talk to the coaches if you have questions.
- The Importance of Iron in Distance Runners (Blog Post)
- Why You Should Get Your Ferritin Levels Checked (Blog Post)
- A letter from a doctor, with references, about ferritin levels for endurance athletes that you can take with you to your medical provider when you get tested. (Doc)
- Are Your Ferritin Levels Up to Speed? Top Coaches Take Tests for Iron Seriously (article)
- Ironing Out the Details: Know the facts about ferritin and iron before deciding to supplement (article)
- Iron Level Upkeep For Runners (article)