Excellent performances all around this weekend! The meet in Sedalia was a great tune-up heading into the League Championships. Even though we had a few athletes sick, our TEAM did an excellent job stepping up where needed. Here are the results:
- Varsity Boys 1st w/ 23 pts. 1-5 spread 34 seconds
- Varsity Girls 1st w/ 48 pts. 2-7 spread 46 seconds
- JV Girls 1st w/ a perfect 15 pts. 1-5 spread 24 seconds
- JV Boys 1st w/ a perfect 15 pts. 1-5 spread 37 seconds
- Castle View Sabercat Invitational Results, Pictures, Articles, Videos, Etc.
Where we can get better?
The Continental League Championships are a week and a half away. This is the most important TEAM competition for VISTA NATION XC so far this season, and one we put the most emphasis on. The goal for the League meet set by you at our pre-season BBQ in June was to sweep all 6 races again.
This is a very realistic goal for us, and we look to be on track after this weekend. However, there are some things we can do to get better! This week I challenge everyone to the following to make sure we are primed and ready to go.
- Sleep: Get 8 or more hours of sleep each night between now and the League Championships. We have had a lot of sickness going around, and we want to make sure that we are all healthy, recovered, and ready to go so that you can do your part to help the TEAM at Leagues!
- Racing Forward, not Backwards: Seems simple enough, but we are seeing a lot of people looking behind at the competition in races. Our advice as coaches is to always look forward and race the competition in front of you instead of worrying who is coming behind you.
- Know the Course: This week, before we get to the Doherty meet study the course map. Print off a copy this week (below) and bring it with you. Know where the 1 and 2 mile marks are. Know what the last 200, 400 and 800 meters of the races looks like. When you get to the course, go walk it. A lot of us this past week did not know how the course finished and it cost the TEAM some points at the finish. Make sure you know the course!
Fall Break Practices and Leagues
Practices for the week of Fall Break are posted on the calendar. The general plan is to meet each morning at 7 a.m. The reason we are meeting this early is to keep everyone on as normal of a schedule as possible during the week. Our main practices will be in the morning. Those athletes coming back to do a second run will do so at 3 p.m. on the scheduled days.
We may move a few of the runs around, but for now 7 a.m. will be our primary practice time during break.
Doherty Adidas Spartan Invitational
When: Friday, October 9th
Where: Bear Creek Park in Colorado Springs
Transportation: There are 2 buses both to and from the meet. Please be at school by 11:45 on Friday, the busses are departing for the Springs at 12:00. We should be back around 7:00 on Friday.
Official Meet Site (link)
Course Map (doc)
Parking Map (doc)
Coaches meeting at 2:00pm
2:30pm Girls Open (Unlimited, score 5)
3:15pm Boys Open (Unlimited, score 5)
4:00pm Girls Varsity (Run 9, score 5) Chambers, Suntken, Soars, Nats, Simmons,
Wickoren, Anderson, Schwartzkopf, Walton
4:30pm Boys Varsity (Run 9, score 5) Mackay, Gleeson, Lovejoy, Dillon, Hart,
Burgoyne, O'Sullivan, Hellier, Beal
Athletes Not Racing: If you are not racing at Doherty, you will be traveling to the meet with the team to do a workout on the state course. This will be our only chance this year to see the course prior to the State Championships.
Schedule for October 5th-11th
Mon- MVHS 3:10
Tue- MVHS 3:10
Wed-Morning Run MVHS 6 a.m.
Afternoon MVHS 3:10
Thur- Morning Run MVHS 6:30 a.m.
Afternoon MVHS 3:10 p.m.
Fri- Doherty Invitational, CO Springs
8 a.m. Workout at Vista if not racing
Sat-DeKoevend Park 8 a.m.
-Einstein Bagels after run
Sun-Optional Run on your own, or w/ a teammate